My main man ERIC BERRY

My main man ERIC BERRY
My main man ERIC BERRY

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Post #10 Women Can Be Great Too!

          Everyone always says "women's basketball ball is terrible" or "if there was a sport I could get rid of, it would be women's basketball". I do understand why people say this though, but why do the people of society continue you say things like this? I've always grown up playing sports, baseball, basketball, football, soccer, track, I've literally done it all. Yes, I have seen my fair share of women's basketball games. I actually do camera work for Washburn University's men and women's games. The big difference between a men's game and a women's game is the speed and competition level. Men get after it and compete with one another tot he highest level. Don't get me wrong, I think women play as hard as they can but its just not the same.
          Theres always been the belief that women sports (particularly basketball), are boring and slow. Now, an interesting point came to me thinking about this topic. Would this technically be a form of sexism? If men think women can't perform to a certain level then they are completely wrong. Being a male athlete, I have several friends that are girls who play sports. Yeah, there is a difference in competition level but that is because male athletes are much more overlooked than female athletes. I believe that is because so much is expected from male athletes and women just can't give that certain level of competition. But, they can give their maximum effort and women are certainly talented. We have to understand that women have their own level of competition with each other, and we shouldn't compare them to men.
          Women have several models of greatness in the sports world. The women's USA gymnastics team, the WNBA, USA women's soccer, the list could go on and on. But, a good example to talk about is the University of Uconn. Their women's basketball team over the last 3 years won 111 games in a row. That statistic has never been done before, and is the most insane accomplishment of all time. Even though that streak ended this season, the history of this school has been amazing. I don't think you could compare the history of male sports to this either. This just goes to show that you can't treat women unequally in the sports world, they have proven themselves many times in the past and will continue to do so. Someday, it may be the men's sports that are frowned upon and disliked because of the poor competition level, looks like we will have to wait and see! Tell me what you guys think!

No comments:

Post a Comment